Sunday, February 17, 2013

Weight Loss: It's Not Rocket Surgery

photo courtesy http://www.demotix.com
One of my goals since taking up jiu jitsu (and possibly mma training) is to eventually compete in tournaments or other competitions. Body weight is one of the considerations that comes with the territory. I have to consider how much I currently weigh, what weight class I'd likely compete at, and how best to arrive there.

As a runner, body weight wasn't a huge issue. I raced anywhere from a low of 172 pounds (Burning River 2009) to 195 pounds (Grindstone 2012.) Weight was never really correlated to performance, especially at the longer distances. As such, most of my weight loss attempts were for aesthetic purposes.

Competing in jiu jitsu is considerably different. The goal is to get to the lowest possible weight class while still maintaining strength. Before any competition, there's a weigh-in session. At that point, you have to be at or below a specific weight. Based on my experiences with wrestling, I know I can cut about five pounds if weighing in the day of a match or ten pounds if weighing in the night before a match. This means I can have a 'normal' weight five or ten pounds above the weight class, then lose those five to ten pounds before weigh-in without affecting my strength or endurance.

My specifics


Based on the US bjj Open weight classes, my goal weight class would be 168 with a gi. Since my gi weighs somewhere around three pounds, my goal weight would be 165. If I were weighing in immediately before a match, my pre-cutting weight would have to be about 170. If weighing in the night before, it would have to be about 175.

My current weight is around 180, which is down from a month ago where I was at 195. To get to my goal, I have to lose another 5-10 pounds. I'm currently aiming for a happy medium- 172.5. 

How to Lose Weight


Many people want to lose weight for all kinds of reasons, but the combative arts are a special case. The easiest way to lose weight it to simply consume less than you burn. It's a simple equation- you'll lose about a pound for every 3,000 calorie deficit you create. Stop eating for a few days (or severely restrict intake) and the pounds melt off.

Unfortunately, training and recovery from training requires nutrition. Since a deficit is still needed, food choice has to become VERY selective. I accomplished this by two methods:
  1. Eat a wide variety of foods. I try to eat as many different foods as possible, which includes meats, fruits, veggies, and nuts. I eat different animals and different colored-plant matter. This assures I'm getting all required nutrients to repair tissue. I stay away from calorie-dense processed foods. Sadly, this includes regular beer and wine intake. 
  2. Eat less. I cut out one to three meals from my normal routine. I usually eat about seven times throughout the day. Now I eat about four or five times per day. I also eat smaller portions. This assures a decent caloric deficit while still maintaining energy levels.
Aside from the nutritional component, I also try to move more. My job as a materials handler at a lumber yard provides ample exercise. I life heavy shit all day long. I also walk several miles during any given shift. I add to this by walking three miles to and from work most days (when schedule allows.) Shelly and I also run to the gym when possible (another three miles.) This, combined with the energy expenditure of training, burns somewhere around 3000-5000 calories per day. 

Based on this current pattern, I should reach my goal weight in about three weeks to a month. Once I reach that weight, I'll continue with the same eating pattern, only eliminate the calorie restriction. 

How Can This be Applied to You?


Weight loss isn't a magical process. There are no shortcuts. Fad diets, drugs, or other silly tricks rarely if ever work. It's about altering lifestyle. It's about feeling hungry on occasion. It's about moving more. 

Want to lose weight? Consider beginning some sort of fight training that requires making weight. It shifts bodyweight from a body image thing to a utilitarian purpose. It becomes just another element of training. Preparing for competition is an excellent motivator to lose weight. I'd highly recommend it!


###





No comments:

Post a Comment